Mike Feuer for City Attorney
The Los Angeles Metropolitan News-Enterprise, LA's leading legal daily news source, devoted an entire page of editorial in support of City Attorney candidate Mike Feuer. The endorsement was not expected, but likely welcomed not only by Feuer, but by voters who fell for the Trutanich spell in 2009 and have been disappointed (if not disgusted) at the way Trutanich squandered their support and his political capital on a lie-filled, ego-driven, cheesy attempt at political bunny-hopping.
The Met News Editorial Board, who supported Trutanich in 2009, said "he [Trutanich] has been a disappointment to many. He’s proved to be a bully, a bloviator, a buffoon. His primary failing is, of course, his inability to stick to the truth," likely a thinly veiled reference to the infamous LA Times editorial "Carmen 'I am a Liar' Trutanich" that has come to define all things Trutanich.
While commenting that Mike Feuer is "a bit too politically partisan and a bit too ambitious," the Met News nevertheless recognizes "that he is intelligent and capable. The City of Los Angeles has not had an able city attorney since Burt Pines left office in 1981. We hope that Feuer will be able to fill his shoes." The Met News said.
In supporting Feuer, the Met News has perhaps taken a pragmatic position that owes as much to Feuer's academic credentials (Feuer is a Havard grad, while Trutanich is first time bar exam failer from a part time, night time, un-accredited, now defunct law school) as it does to Feuer's successes as a Los Angeles City Councilman, State Assemblyman and a proven leader.
The Met News supports its view of Trutanich as micro-managing, headline-chasing political parvenu who forgets those who supported him faster than he forgets the many promises he made and broke, with references to some, but not all, of Trutanich's lies and monumental failures, including:
- His failure to honor his 'Pledge to Serve' and not seek higher political office,
- His failure to honor his $100,000 payment to LA's Best After School program,
- His failure to purchase full page ads in LA newspapers with his photograph and the statement 'I AM A LIAR' in bold typeface,
- His lie about being the victim of an assassination attempt when he was 'surrounded and shot at by gangmembers' while working as a deputy DA in the 1980s',
- His false accusation that DA Steve Cooley had deliberately withheld his DA personnel file which contained the only proof that the alleged (laughable) attempted assassination attempt,
- His pathetic attempt to engage Attorney General Kamala Harris in an investigation into 'suspicious political activity' in the concealment of his DA personnel file, a file that he knew was missing four years before wrote to Harris,
- His attempted use of a false and misleading ballot designation, 'Los Angeles Chief Prosecutor,' during his failed DA campaign,
- His false claim to have the endorsement of three law enforcement associations,
- His false claim to have 'come up with' a program to streamline the enforcement of municipal code violations, when the idea in fact originated from the former Chief Deputy City Attorney under Rocky Delgadillo's administration, and was already in place in other municipalities,
- His misleading condemnation of Feuer's support for AB109, the so-called 'realignment,' when he had also warmly embraced the measure to earn Gov. Brown's endorsement for his failed DA campaign,
- His current campaign condemnation of Feuer for never having prosecuted murderers and rapists, is if to imply that is the work of the City Attorney. It is not.
- His current campaign claim that Feuer has never prosecuted any criminal case, ever, as if to imply that this is the sole work of the City Attorney's office. In fact it accounts for less than one third of the office and is largely the responsibility of inexperienced 'volunteer' attorneys,
- His false claim that 'Feuer lies, cheats and steals,' a claim supported only by innuendo and utterly bereft of fact, concerning Feuer's campaign consultancy agreement containing a performance bonus fee clause. Trutanich claimed that Feuer had never met or consulted with the Commission en banc, but Feuer never claimed that. He obtained the approval through the Commission's Deputy Chief Executive, the appropriate means of obtaining approval.
- The palpably false claim to have had 724,534 YouTube views in six days for his DA campaign video when Trutanich paid for them, or
- Sheriff Baca's illegal in-uniform endorsement, or
- His illegal billboards outside his former campaign headquarters, or
- The missing rent payments for that office.
But the point is well made by the Met News; "To re-elect Carmen Trutanich as Los Angeles city attorney would be unthinkable."